Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Becoming of a Father

I have to admit, I was a little worried about Scott and how he'd adapt to being a dad before Grace was born. I'll never forget his reaction when I told him we needed to convert the one other upstairs bedroom into a nursery. "The baby doesn't need a nursery, the baby can sleep in our room for a short time at the beginning then it can move downstairs into a bedroom in the basement." I also remember his reaction when he first took a look at my conservative baby registry. "We don't need half this stuff," he exclaimed. He thought the mirror you attach to the backseat so you can see your baby in the rearview mirror was completely ridiculous. Or his reaction when I suggested we buy an "overpriced" B.O.B. jogging stroller. "You can't be serious," he said. However, with the birth of our baby Grace, everything changed.

Scott has embraced his role as a new father and has insisted on using everything he initially thought was so unwarranted. In fact, the first thing he said on our way home from the hospital was, "we need to get that backseat mirror out of the garage as soon as we get home, I can't see Grace!!" He even took the stroller out for a test spin without the baby. His ability to soothe Grace when I can't and am getting frustrated and discouraged is amazing. To say the least, Scott is a natural at being a dad. He's patient, caring, and very supportive of his exhausted wife. Scott celebrated his first fathers day this past weekend and deserves a "best daddy" ribbon if you ask me. Happy Father's Day.

The picture to the left is of him and Grace in a sling that was made for me and my body measurements. He insisted on wearing it himself and holding the baby on a walk last week. I might have to make him one of his own.

Grace is doing well at the 3 week mark. She's become much more alert and awake, however with that has become a bit more fussy. We had our first vomiting episode yesterday morning and was aghast at how much a little baby could throw up. As a first time mom I question if I'm doing anything right, although with the reassurance of my husband and many fellow moms, I'm told all that Grace is doing is normal and to be expected. I can't thank everyone enough. In between her stubborn episodes Scott and I relish the moments when Grace is just falling asleep as we watch her adorable facial expressions. From smiles, to sticking her tongue out, to raising her eyebrows and puckering her lips. We constantly find ourselves unable to take our eyes off her.

Grace had her first official photo shoot last week. Please click on the link below to see the photos. Can't wait to share more of our stories as we continue to embark on this adventure of parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment