Monday, September 6, 2010

Wonderland Trail II


I recently reviewed my post last Tuesday of my trip on the Wonderland trail and realized it was a bit sparse on information so I decided I needed to add some more. Fist, I'll give you our route, and daily mileage. We started in the NE corner of the park, and circled the mountain anti-clockwise.

Start Point: Sunrise Trailhead
Night 1: Carbon River 15.5 miles
Night 2: S Mowich River 9.9 miles
Night 3: N Puyallup River 11.8 miles
Night 4: S Puyallup River 6.5 miles
Night 5: Cougar Rock 12.9 miles
Night 6: Nickel Creek 12.7 miles
Night 7: Summerland 10.9 miles
End Point: Sunrise Trailhead 9.8 miles

Although none of the days includes an astronomical number of miles, it was really the vertical profile that truly determined the strain we would all go though to complete the day's miles. The national park service has a .pdf document with the entire profile for download available HERE - however, I've included a small screen shot (very small now that I've got it uploaded) to give you an idea of what our days were like. Most days had both ups and downs, but day 7 was almost entirely UP - for about 7 hours.


I also wanted to include a Google Earth file you can download to explore the trail interactively. It even has the ability to overlay the USGS Topographic maps if you like. This really allows you to get the true feel of the trail. Download the .kmz file HERE.


Finally, I decided to upload the video Gabe made on my computer with about 15 minutes of editing. It's mostly B-roll footage of things he decided just needed to be filmed with video instead of still. Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment