Sunday, September 1, 2013

Blue Star Museums


If you are a member of the military and haven't heard of Blue Star Museums, listen up.  Free admission to over 2,000 museums nation wide for the military member and 5 family members, and no limit to the number of museum trips you can make.  A bit late to take advantage of this year as the program only runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  The kids and I also hadn't used this awesome benefit all summer, until this weekend.  We enjoyed the sights of the Museum of Glass and Boeing's Museum of Flight.  


As the Museum of Glass didn't open till noon on Sundays, we enjoyed all the outdoor sculptures along the waterfront and made a trip across the bridge of glass.


I asked Grace, "Which one is your favorite?"  Grace subsequently traveled up and down the bridge with Samuel, stopping at every sculpture, pointing and asking, "Is this your favorite?" about a hundred times.


I'm not sure why, but I really liked this photo, even though it's not particularly a good one.  I rarely take the time to enhance any photos through cropping or manipulation of the settings or levels.  Because I liked this one, I played with it a bit so the kids weren't hidden in the dark, washed out by the light streaming directly through the glass.  


Boeing's Museum of Flight in south Seattle is another Blue Star Museum.  I don't know what I expected but the museum blew away my expectations.  I could spend 3 days or more in here, without the distraction of the kids, learning about every aspect of aviation.  I was so busy watching the kids, (even though I did have help - thanks Grandmuhie) and trying to read a placard or two when I had the chance, I only managed to snap a couple of photos with the iPhone.  Fast moving kids, low level museum light, no tripod = grainy photos.  Good enough for a blog post.


Exploring history; walking down the isle of the Air Force One jet which carried every president from Eisenhower to Nixon.


Sarah's new favorite kind of photo is where the kids are walking away from the camera holding hands. So cliche, and yet, I like it too.  I sent her this one via the interwebs immediately.  


No comments:

Post a Comment