Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sam Goes Pro


I recently obtained my scuba certification (yes, still haven't posted about that, more on it later, seriously) in preparation for a big wedding cruise Sarah and I will attend this year.  I borrowed a friend's GoPro camera to film the open water certification dive.  Turns out the instructor was uncomfortable with that and stated, when I was certified, I could do what I want, but until then...  

If you have never heard of GoPro cameras, I suggest you do two things.  1) Get your head out from under a rock.  2) Go buy one.  I haven't felt the need to own one of these $400 pieces of equipment mostly because the video I see from them is usually from some dude base jumping off a cliff in a wing suit.  I'm adventurous, but I also want to see my kids grow up, so I don't do that.  

The GoPro I borrowed wasn't the newest model, so I needed to get an older, bit harder to find, waterproof housing for diving.  No problem, Amazon to the rescue; two days later the new housing was here.  Unfortunately, and more so, surprisingly, the mounting options I desired weren't available.  No problem, Tacoma FabLab to the rescue.  For a 1/2 hour's worth of design, and then one 3D printed item later, I had my wrist mount.  I'm definitely hooked on FabLab now - you are only limited by your own creativity at that place. 

I performed a test of all the equipment today at Sam's swim class.  It's not earth shattering, but in my opinion it's pretty awesome.  Original footage was 720HD and looks great on the computer.  I took about 30 seconds to edit the clips together, throw an audio track over top, and upload.  Can't wait to see what kind of results I get from some Caribbean scuba diving.

 








No comments:

Post a Comment