Friday, September 2, 2011

Watch People Jump Out of Airplanes - Get Paid

As I blogged about a few months past, I get to do some pretty cool stuff as part of my job with the Air Force Reserves.  Not only that, while I'm doing this pretty cool stuff they pay me.  Suckers.  I guess I should try and keep it a secret that I would do most of it for free.  

This past week I had the opportunity to assist and observe some airdrop operations.  I'm not airdrop qualified, but I could certainly help with the workload while under the tutelage of some great instructors.  Besides, I thought this job would be easy.  I thought I'd simply get to watch a few folks jump out of an airplane and that would be that.  I could not have been more wrong.  The mission was to fly to Columbus, GA where the Army's Airborn school is located.  The 500 students all needed 5 jumps to graduate from the course.  During 3 days, our crew would facilitate over 1,600 of the required jumps - roughly two thirds of all jumps accomplished.   The physical punishment of wearing a 30lb parachute, while attempting to maintain one's balance walking around the cargo compartment on a warm, 90 degree, bumpy, summer, Georgia day while repeatedly preparing for jumpers to exit, was much more demanding than I had expected.  However, to stand in the open door of an airplane and loot out over the land as we cruised along but 1,000 feet above the Chatahoochie River was well worth the effort.  

Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of myself.  I look forward to the opportunity to pose for a few next time... while I'm getting paid!


Cargo compartment filled with eager students. 

About 1 minute from the drop. 

Green Light & everyone exits.

No comments:

Post a Comment