Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hello from Christchurch

It has been about 2 weeks since Sarah or I have posted on the blog and there is good reason for that.  For the past week I have been traveling to, and working in Christchurch, New Zealand!  In the week prior to that Sarah and I were furiously completing all the necessary items to make sure everything was taken care of while WE were gone.  That's right, Sarah will be joining me here for 2 1/2 weeks or so seeing the wonders of the New Zealand.  
My purpose for being here is to support the efforts of the National Science Foundation.  I am performing my job as a loadmaster on the C-17 and flying cargo to and from the continent of Antarctica.  We fly to the US station of McMurdo on Ross Island, actually landing on the ice runway prepared on the Ross Ice Shelf.  That's right, we don't actually land on land, but on a giant sheet of ice over 8 feet thick.  This is my second time to New Zealand for this mission.  I was fortunate enough to visit the town in 2006, long before the devastating earthquakes that hit the city earlier this year.  

The Christchurch City Council announced our arrival with a press release.  We flew over the earthquake ravaged town center and performed a wing rock to say hello to all those in attendance.  See the press release in the link below.  

The information above was also disseminated via social networks and local news agencies.  All crewmembers were present for the static demonstration, putting the C-17 on display for the townspeople on the following day.  We were told to expect 200-400 people in the 2 hour time span the City Council had allotted the public access to the plane.  The City Council drastically underestimated the desire of the citizens to see the inside of an American cargo aircraft.  The 1200 spot "car park" (local vernacular for parking lot) was full and the over fill lots did not alleviate the problem.  It is estimated anywhere between 4 & 5 thousand folks came and toured the plane.  The link below has the coverage of the event.  


Yesterday was my first trip (and the C-17's) down to Antarctica for the season.  I can tell you that it was the most beautiful and spectacular -27 C landscape I've ever seen.  Blue skies and bright sun, light breezes, and so cold it was hard to take a deep breath.  We downloaded and uploaded and got out of there ahead of schedule.  Unfortunately, I was so busy doing my job I didn't get a single photo from the surface.  No worries - I'm slated to go several more times and I look forward to inundating everyone with truckloads of snapshots. 

1 comment:

  1. I'll just be straight up about this...I'm going to need some more pictures. Some of us are sitting in offices trying to live vicariously through others who are in foreign countries. Honestly, 2 weeks without a post... inexcusable. Can someone post some pictures from New Zealand... Sarah... anyone.

    ReplyDelete