Friday, October 28, 2011

Tales from Ice 2011

It has taken a full week since I've been home to post the photos from my trips to Antarctica, but they are finally up on Picassa.  Other than the amazing travels I had with Sarah, I did have to work just a bit while in New Zealand.  I actually got to fly down to Antarctica 5 times this season.  On only two occasions was I able to take any photos - one day was sunshine, the other clouds - it's quite obvious from the photos which day is which.  In the five trips I carried nearly 500 passengers, about 300K lbs of cargo, 3 medical evacuation patients, and had a blast.  Each day started around 5 AM with the alert, and usually ended between 10 PM and midnight, depending on winds and cargo.  

The sled is the cargo mover of choice on the ice.  We both uploaded from and downloaded to the sled.
This shipping container had over 20K lbs of food inside.   

 Buttoned up and ready to head back to Christchurch on a blistering -28 C afternoon

Finally got my photo for the season!



Check out all the photos on Picasaweb - Ice 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment