Sunday, July 15, 2012

Swim Lessons at the Y


Sarah enrolled Grace in swimming lessons at the local YMCA.  Grace has taken to water like a politician to money - she loves in it, around it, playing with it - except when it splashes in your face.  The YMCA classes are really great.  Grace not only gets one on one time with Mom, she gets to interact with a bunch of kids her age.  I'll admit, I expected to see other children afraid of the water, but everyone in Grace's class seems to really enjoy the pool experience.  As I've said in the past, I hope our kids enjoy the water as much as I do.


No, this is not a new form of infant water boarding.  The underwater platform provides a safe place for the kids to stand, away from the edge of the pool.  Also, the bar in the middle gives them a goal to swim under.  I've found the hardest part of getting kids use to the water is having them actually go under the surface without trying to inhale the entire pool.  Most of the early classes began with bobbing/dunking the kids, allowing them to get comfortable with being below the surface for shore periods of time.  This is the more advanced version.

Grace emerges from under the bar - triumphant! 

Mom is quite proud, can't you tell. 

 I swear she knows she's cute.  This is going to be an issue later.

 "Hey everyone!  I'm wearing a strawberry swimsuit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment